Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World in Orlando
Formerly known as Disney-MGM Studios, Disney’s Hollywood Studios has enough attractions to keep the whole family entertained, as well as a couple of rides which the thrill seekers will love. While there are not a lot of rides for younger kids, there are some great shows that they will really enjoy.
There are two main thrill rides at Disney’s Hollywood Studios that are not to be missed.
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror – based around the infamous Hollywood Tower Hotel, this elevator ride is designed so that you never take the same ride twice. This makes it attractive to go on more than once, so even if you have a fast pass we would recommend going here as early as possible before the queues build up too much.
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith – this indoor rollercoaster goes from zero to sixty miles per hour in just over two seconds as you blast around listening to Aerosmith’s rock music.
Our kids were aged 9 & 11 when we visited this park and we found there was plenty of entertainment to keep them busy for the whole day. There may not however be enough attractions for the whole day if you were travelling with small toddlers. Some of our family’s favourite attractions were;
- Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage – this 25 minute live production is fantastic, especially for kids who might not sit through a full length Broadway style show.
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular – take a behind-the-scenes look at how Hollywood makes films that are full of explosions, fist-fights and daring stunts. A real-life director is on hand to explain all of the fine details of their movie making magic.
- Toy Story Mania – score points in this 4D target shooting game. You can also catch some of the Toy Story gang out and about near this attraction.
- Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream – take a look at the life of Walt Disney and discover the journey it took to make his dreams come true.
Other attractions we recommend at Disney’s Hollywood Studios would be the Muppet Vision 4D Stage Show, The Great Movie Ride, A “Frozen” Sing-Along Celebration, the Disney Junior – Live on Stage dance show and of course the Fantasmic nighttime spectacular which is a combination of pyrotechnics and lasers.
If you are a Stars Wars fan then you will absolutely love Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Be sure to pay a visit to Star Wars Launch Bay where you can get a behind the scenes look at Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. There are also character meet and greets as well as memorabilia and props from all the Star Wars Episodes.
There is also a pretty cool 3D simulation ride called Star Tours – The Adventures Continue. Here you can board a Starspeeder 1000 and launch into hyperspace on your very own mission. Each intergalactic adventure is different so you just never know what planet will be your next destination.
Next to the Star Tours ride is the Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple where youngsters aged from 4 – 12 can learn to become Jedi Knights. Be sure to register early though as availability is limited and spots are offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios also now has a nighttime fireworks and lighting show based around Star Wars called Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular. It’s a spectacular way to finish off a busy day at this Walt Disney World park.